- a fistful of dollars July 28
Dollar Tree is buying Family Dollar in a deal estimated at $8.5 billion, The Associated Press reports.
The AP reports that after the deal, Dollar Tree will have more than 13,000 stores across the United States. The two companies are among the biggest discount chains in the country.
"This is a transformational opportunity," Bob Sasser, Dollar Tree's Chief Executive Officer, said in a statement. "This acquisition will extend our reach to lower-income customers and strengthen and diversify our store footprint."
Dollar Tree expects that the deal will be closed by early 2015.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- California's epic drought
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week