- a fistful of dollars July 28
Dollar Tree is buying Family Dollar in a deal estimated at $8.5 billion, The Associated Press reports.
The AP reports that after the deal, Dollar Tree will have more than 13,000 stores across the United States. The two companies are among the biggest discount chains in the country.
"This is a transformational opportunity," Bob Sasser, Dollar Tree's Chief Executive Officer, said in a statement. "This acquisition will extend our reach to lower-income customers and strengthen and diversify our store footprint."
Dollar Tree expects that the deal will be closed by early 2015.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 10 secrets of the Vatican exposed
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week