- a fistful of dollars July 28
Dollar Tree is buying Family Dollar in a deal estimated at $8.5 billion, The Associated Press reports.
The AP reports that after the deal, Dollar Tree will have more than 13,000 stores across the United States. The two companies are among the biggest discount chains in the country.
"This is a transformational opportunity," Bob Sasser, Dollar Tree's Chief Executive Officer, said in a statement. "This acquisition will extend our reach to lower-income customers and strengthen and diversify our store footprint."
Dollar Tree expects that the deal will be closed by early 2015.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 10 things you need to know today: November 26, 2014
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
Subscribe to the Week