- This just in July 29
After suspending purchases from a Chinese supplier over an expired meat scandal, McDonald's is offering tofu McNuggets at its Japan locations.
The Tofu Shinjo Nuggets include "onions, soybeans, carrots, and minced fish," with a side of ginger sauce, and will be available starting Wednesday until late September.
"Because it isn't meat, it tastes a bit different. It's a bit softer," a McDonalds spokesperson told The Wall Street Journal. "Calorie-wise, it is a bit lower than chicken as well." She also noted that Japan has been planning to introduce the new nuggets since before the scandal in China was revealed.
Watch a commercial for the new McNuggets below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- House hunting: 7 stunning castles in Europe
- Why insects are the future of food
Subscribe to the Week