- This just in July 29
After suspending purchases from a Chinese supplier over an expired meat scandal, McDonald's is offering tofu McNuggets at its Japan locations.
The Tofu Shinjo Nuggets include "onions, soybeans, carrots, and minced fish," with a side of ginger sauce, and will be available starting Wednesday until late September.
"Because it isn't meat, it tastes a bit different. It's a bit softer," a McDonalds spokesperson told The Wall Street Journal. "Calorie-wise, it is a bit lower than chicken as well." She also noted that Japan has been planning to introduce the new nuggets since before the scandal in China was revealed.
Watch a commercial for the new McNuggets below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- How to live a long life, according to science
Subscribe to the Week