- Swing and a Whiff July 29
The St. Louis Cardinals' Adam Wainwright took some flak — and that's putting it lightly — on Twitter a couple weeks back for admitting that he intentionally gave Derek Jeter a few pitches in the MLB All-Star Game.
Later, in an interview with FOX's Erin Andrews, he sighed: "I don't love social media."
That may be because social media can be really, really mean. It may also be because Wainwright apparently hasn't quite grasped how it works. The pitcher joined Twitter today, amassing thousands of followers before sending a single tweet. And when he did, it was this:
Sitting here with my wife and texting my friends trying to come up with a legendary first tweet. Any suggestions?— Adam Wainwright (@UncleCharlie50) July 29, 2014
So, the second tweet, that one will be legendary, for real.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week