- Swing and a Whiff July 29
The St. Louis Cardinals' Adam Wainwright took some flak — and that's putting it lightly — on Twitter a couple weeks back for admitting that he intentionally gave Derek Jeter a few pitches in the MLB All-Star Game.
Later, in an interview with FOX's Erin Andrews, he sighed: "I don't love social media."
That may be because social media can be really, really mean. It may also be because Wainwright apparently hasn't quite grasped how it works. The pitcher joined Twitter today, amassing thousands of followers before sending a single tweet. And when he did, it was this:
Sitting here with my wife and texting my friends trying to come up with a legendary first tweet. Any suggestions?— Adam Wainwright (@UncleCharlie50) July 29, 2014
So, the second tweet, that one will be legendary, for real.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- The European Union was supposed to end nationalism. It gave it new life instead.
Subscribe to the Week