- Swing and a Whiff July 29
The St. Louis Cardinals' Adam Wainwright took some flak — and that's putting it lightly — on Twitter a couple weeks back for admitting that he intentionally gave Derek Jeter a few pitches in the MLB All-Star Game.
Later, in an interview with FOX's Erin Andrews, he sighed: "I don't love social media."
That may be because social media can be really, really mean. It may also be because Wainwright apparently hasn't quite grasped how it works. The pitcher joined Twitter today, amassing thousands of followers before sending a single tweet. And when he did, it was this:
Sitting here with my wife and texting my friends trying to come up with a legendary first tweet. Any suggestions?— Adam Wainwright (@UncleCharlie50) July 29, 2014
So, the second tweet, that one will be legendary, for real.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week