- IRS July 30
Ex-IRS official Lois Lerner refers to some Republicans as "a--holes" and "crazies" in an exchange from 2012, according to emails released by House Republicans on Wednesday.
"Maybe we are through if there are that many a--holes," the former head of the IRS tax-exempt division wrote in an exchange with an unnamed non-IRS official, dated Nov. 9, 2012. Later she added: "We don't need to worry about alien terrorists. It's our own crazies that will take us down." [Politico]
Lerner at the time was at the center of a controversy in which Republicans had accused the IRS of targeting Tea Party groups for scrutiny.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
Subscribe to the Week