- IRS July 30
Ex-IRS official Lois Lerner refers to some Republicans as "a--holes" and "crazies" in an exchange from 2012, according to emails released by House Republicans on Wednesday.
"Maybe we are through if there are that many a--holes," the former head of the IRS tax-exempt division wrote in an exchange with an unnamed non-IRS official, dated Nov. 9, 2012. Later she added: "We don't need to worry about alien terrorists. It's our own crazies that will take us down." [Politico]
Lerner at the time was at the center of a controversy in which Republicans had accused the IRS of targeting Tea Party groups for scrutiny.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
Subscribe to the Week