- This award show's gone to the dogs July 30
I am fully aware that the CW Network's January 2015 television event, "The World Dog Awards," is just a stunt meant to draw viewers.
I do not care. I will be seated in front of my television for two hours of glorious, canine-filled viewing nevertheless. The network announced the event on Tuesday, noting that "dogs of every size and breed will gather together at the aptly named Barker Hangar in Santa Monica, Calif., to be recognized for their achievements in film, television, commercials, and animation."
There will of course also be montages honoring service dogs, military dogs, and other canine heroes. The CW says big-name stars and bands will be on hand, too, so expect the entire cast of The Vampire Diaries to hand out awards. No guest list has been released yet (not surprising considering we all now have to wait nearly six months for this blessed event), so allow me to nominate some of my own top choices, below. --Sarah Eberspacher
Uggie, who has retired from acting | (Facebook.com/The Artist)
Baxter, AKA The Best Part of Anchorman 2 | (Facebook.com/Anchorman)
Stella, from that show I used to watch | (Facebook.com/Modern Family)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The American middle class is no longer safe from poverty — and that might be a good thing
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- 10 things you need to know today: September 19, 2014
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
Subscribe to the Week