- This award show's gone to the dogs July 30
I am fully aware that the CW Network's January 2015 television event, "The World Dog Awards," is just a stunt meant to draw viewers.
I do not care. I will be seated in front of my television for two hours of glorious, canine-filled viewing nevertheless. The network announced the event on Tuesday, noting that "dogs of every size and breed will gather together at the aptly named Barker Hangar in Santa Monica, Calif., to be recognized for their achievements in film, television, commercials, and animation."
There will of course also be montages honoring service dogs, military dogs, and other canine heroes. The CW says big-name stars and bands will be on hand, too, so expect the entire cast of The Vampire Diaries to hand out awards. No guest list has been released yet (not surprising considering we all now have to wait nearly six months for this blessed event), so allow me to nominate some of my own top choices, below. --Sarah Eberspacher
Uggie, who has retired from acting | (Facebook.com/The Artist)
Baxter, AKA The Best Part of Anchorman 2 | (Facebook.com/Anchorman)
Stella, from that show I used to watch | (Facebook.com/Modern Family)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Obama's politically lethal credibility problem
Subscribe to the Week