- 2014 Watch July 30
Sen. Pat Roberts (R-Kan.) encountered an interesting person Wednesday during a local campaign stop in Emporia: His opponent in next week's Republican primary, Tea Party candidate Milton Wolf, who was there with a group of his own supporters to directly confront Roberts, The Emporia Gazette reports.
"We know you've told Kansans, you've given your word you would give a debate," said Wolf, right after a friendly handshake. "You've said it multiple times, in multiple places. You tell us that you're tough and tested and trusted. And I want you to keep your word, I want you to debate. I think Kansans deserve it."
Roberts responded: "Listen, Milton — Milton, Milton, this is not the time. We have a regularly scheduled event, a listening tour event. This is not the way to do that, this is not the time."
"When would be the time, Senator? Because I'll go anywhere you'd like," Wolf answered, continuing as Roberts began walking away. "You've given your word to debate; let's just debate."
Perhaps there just might not be any debate in time for Tuesday.
In addition to be a Tea Party candidate, Wolf is also a distant cousin of President Obama himself — though he's definitely not a fan. A recent SurveyUSA poll for the Republican primary gave Roberts a solid lead over Wolf, 50 percent to 30 percent. The likely Democratic nominee is Chad Taylor, the district attorney of Shawnee County, the area that includes Topeka. The last time Democrats won a Senate race in Kansas was all the way back in 1932, during the landslide first election victory of President Franklin Roosevelt. But very interestingly, the same SurveyUSA poll also showed Taylor in close races right now with either Roberts or Wolf. --Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
Subscribe to the Week