- hair heist July 31
It took less than two minutes for a gang to tear through a beauty supply store in Houston and steal thousands of dollars worth of expensive wigs, hair extensions, and cash.
At about 2 a.m. Wednesday, security cameras caught a white truck backing into the shop, called Beauty Sensation. Once the window glass was shattered, several men jumped from the truck, and were joined by others who came running from a different car parked outside. Police believe as many as eight people could have participated in the robbery, which left the store a total mess.
"They knew exactly where it was," Kevin Kim, the store owner's son, told KPRC-TV in Houston. "They threw away the cheap hair on the floor and they only kept the expensive ones. They were scattered around the store and they picked the most expensive ones."
Kim's family has owned the store for six years now, and is "devastated" by what happened. "Even I'm speechless right now," he said. Of the items stolen, the wigs cost $450 and the hair extensions as much as $200 a piece. Police are looking for a white Ford 250 with paper license plates, and most likely lots of strands of hair. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- The girl who wouldn't die
Subscribe to the Week