- Late Night Antics July 31
On Wednesday, TMZ reported that Orlando Bloom attempted to punch Justin Bieber at a restaurant in Ibiza, Spain. The fight was reportedly inspired by a remark Bieber made about model Miranda Kerr, from whom Bloom is currently separated.
Stephen Colbert gleefully seized upon the gossip, reporting that there is yet another international conflict brewing. He was quick to make light of Kerr and Bieber's age difference, saying that in a photo of the pair together, "she was either canoodling with or babysitting him."
Colbert dissects media reports of the incident, which state that Bloom "refused to shake Bieber's hand" before swinging a punch. After being denied the handshake, Bieber reportedly said to Bloom, "She was good." Colbert then made clear that he doesn't "condone this type of violence" — because Bloom's punch allegedly missed Bieber's face. Watch the full Colbert Report clip — which also includes a gratuitous Pope Francis video — below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
Subscribe to the Week