- Coming Soon July 31
After months of anticipation, the first trailer for Disney's star-studded big-screen adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's fairytale mash-up Into the Woods has finally been released. But after watching this first glimpse of the movie, fans of the original stage production will likely be left with a single question: what happened to all the music?
Instead, this first Into the Woods trailer focuses largely on the film's star power. Yes, Into the Woods stars Anna Kendrick, Meryl Streep, Johnny Depp, Emily Blunt, and Chris Pine — but anyone who's unfamiliar with the play will walk away not knowing that those people will spend much of the movie singing. Is this trailer, like the multiple trailers for Disney's Frozen, trying to hide the fact that this movie is a musical? Given director Rob Marshall's work on the Best Picture-winning musical Chicago, it seems like a strange thing to hide.
In any case, audiences can finally get their first glimpse at Into the Woods in advance of its theatrical release next December. Maybe the next trailer will give them a taste of the music, too. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 20, 2014
- The worrying rise of the anti-vaccination movement
Subscribe to the Week