- Your Friendly Neighborhood Best-selling Author July 31
Comedian and best-selling author David Sedaris moved from the United States to England's Horsham district three years ago, and he has now made a name for himself across the pond, too: David "Pig Pen" Sedaris.
The Horsham District Council noticed its new resident's zeal for keeping the area trash-free, as he walked several miles each day picking up litter. So, they decided to thank him for his hard work by naming a local garbage truck "Pig Pen Sedaris" and emblazoning the side with a bright pink pig (check out the delightful photo via the West Sussex County Times, which reported on the honor).
Here's the interesting part: Nowhere in the article is Sedaris' relative fame mentioned. Either the paper did not want to take away from his true calling as "South Downs litter picker," or the writers failed to notice they were honoring one of their own. Either way, it didn't seem to bother Sedaris too much.
"I'm angry at the people who throw these things out their car windows, but I'm just as angry at the people who walk by it every day," Sedaris told the paper. "I say pick it up yourself. Do it enough and you might one day get a garbage truck named after you. It's an amazing feeling."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The week's best photojournalism
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 10 things you need to know today: November 28, 2014
Subscribe to the Week