- This just in August 1
Israel and Hamas agreed to a 72-hour humanitarian cease-fire starting Friday, but the kidnapping of an Israeli solider and heavy exchanges of fire two hours after the truce took effect unraveled it.
According to Israel, a unit clearing a Hamas tunnel was set upon by militants, who made off with one of the soldiers. "The cease-fire is over," said an Israeli spokesperson, as Israel set about looking for the missing soldier. Read more at The New York Times.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How I lost all my money
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ismail Kadare's 6 favorite books
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- The real story behind The Conjuring and four other horror movies 'based on a true story'
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- How to develop a photographic memory in 4 easy steps
Subscribe to the Week