- Watch this August 1
Mashable Minute host Elliott Morgan steps in to guest host our sister site Mental Floss' video this week, which details strange occupations.
Unsurprisingly, ice cream taste testers made the list — but did you know each taste tester might sample a pint of ice cream in an average day? That sounds a lot better than being a dog food tester, which is apparently also a human job — dog food testers monitor the food for "quality control."
Other odd jobs include Hazmat divers, who swim through sewage, and "professional RC vehicle racers," who test the remote-controlled cars. The oddest odd job, though, might be that of "deer urine farmers," who "collect and sell undiluted whitetail pee." Apparently, deer pee is useful in hunting, and each deer can earn a farmer more than $90,000 a year.
Watch the full video below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
Subscribe to the Week