- Not too subtle, huh? August 1
This is not the kind of image that an ex-politician would really want to be remembered for.
The Washington Post reports that on Friday a key photo was entered into evidence in the federal corruption trial of former Gov. Bob McDonnell (R-Va.) for gifts that he received from donor and dietary supplement CEO Jonnie Williams Sr. The photo shows McDonnell smiling and showing off an expensive wristwatch.
Williams testified on Thursday that McDonnell sent him the photo via text message in December 2012. The watch is a rather infamous gift that Williams allegedly gave to McDonnell, with a special engraving: "Robert F. McDonnell, 71st Governor of Virginia."
The watch itself was passed around among jurors on Thursday. Williams also stated that the Rolex cost between $6,000 and $7,000 — part of the more than $165,000 in gifts from Williams that McDonnell is accused of accepting. --Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
Subscribe to the Week