- lots of room at the inn August 4
Are you looking for a relaxing place to stay in Hildale, Utah, with enough room for you and your 20 wives? Then you're in luck: the compound built for polygamous leader Warren Jeffs has been turned into America's Most Wanted Suites and Bed & Breakfast.
Now serving a life sentence for sexually assaulting a young girl he considered his bride, Jeffs ordered his followers in the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS) to build the compound for him in 2011. Jeffs never actually lived there, and it was purchased at auction for $3.6 million by former bodyguard and FLDS spokesman Willie Jessop. Jessop, who bought the property after he won a lawsuit against FLDS church leaders, kept many original features, including a 12-foot concrete fence, intact.
"I left it there so people could go and see how paranoid he was," Jessop told NBC News. "It was my hope that the walls would help as a reminder to the community that if you need walls like this, you're probably doing something wrong."
The inn is near Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, and the Grand Canyon, and boasts 14 rooms with smart TVs and wi-fi. Rooms run from $85 for a standard room to $200 for a king suite. Jessop's goal is to attract "people of all walks of life who'd like to come to the community and feel welcome," he said. "[It's] something that could be positive instead of sinister."- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- How I lost all my money
- The best books we read in 2014
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week