- The worst day August 4
That is a window cleaning carriage hanging by a cable outside of the tallest building in Vienna, Austria. And, if you squint, you can just make out the fluorescent green jacket of one of the two cleaners clinging to the raised edge of the platform dangling more than 470 feet above the ground.
The carriage reportedly stalled and then slipped 90 degrees. It's unclear how long the workers were hanging there or when exactly this horrific work event happened. But it reportedly took about 30 firefighters to rescue the two workers, who emerged unhurt, from outside the building's 48th floor.
So, yeah, next time the copier eats your report or your boss bumps up your deadline, take a moment to consider the amount of stress these men where under when they were trying not to die, and humbly swallow that whine.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
Subscribe to the Week