- The hero we need August 4
On Sunday, a fox terrier and beloved family pet named Vimes escaped his owners for a look at the Atlantic Ocean from the cliffs of Lookout Point Dunlicky in Ireland.
The curious dog got an unexpected swim. Vimes lost his footing and plunged over 300 feet (about 91 meters) from the edge, his body traveling past a jagged cliff face and into the wild surf.
The distress call went out from Dunlicky and the Irish Coast Guard was dispatched. After looking frantically in the water for the pup, the coast guard found Vimes happily standing at the base of the cliff.
Of course Vimes already had an existing social media presence, from which his gratitude could be announced. --Michael Brendan Dougherty
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 7 tips for keeping your man (from the 1950s)
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week