- The hero we need August 4
On Sunday, a fox terrier and beloved family pet named Vimes escaped his owners for a look at the Atlantic Ocean from the cliffs of Lookout Point Dunlicky in Ireland.
The curious dog got an unexpected swim. Vimes lost his footing and plunged over 300 feet (about 91 meters) from the edge, his body traveling past a jagged cliff face and into the wild surf.
The distress call went out from Dunlicky and the Irish Coast Guard was dispatched. After looking frantically in the water for the pup, the coast guard found Vimes happily standing at the base of the cliff.
Of course Vimes already had an existing social media presence, from which his gratitude could be announced. --Michael Brendan Dougherty
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why America needs more billionaires
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week