- The hero we need August 4
On Sunday, a fox terrier and beloved family pet named Vimes escaped his owners for a look at the Atlantic Ocean from the cliffs of Lookout Point Dunlicky in Ireland.
The curious dog got an unexpected swim. Vimes lost his footing and plunged over 300 feet (about 91 meters) from the edge, his body traveling past a jagged cliff face and into the wild surf.
The distress call went out from Dunlicky and the Irish Coast Guard was dispatched. After looking frantically in the water for the pup, the coast guard found Vimes happily standing at the base of the cliff.
Of course Vimes already had an existing social media presence, from which his gratitude could be announced. --Michael Brendan Dougherty
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 10 things you need to know today: November 26, 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
Subscribe to the Week