- Divine Intervention? August 4
Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy explained over the weekend that his stand against the federal government was a spiritual battle that came at God's behest. Speaking at an Independent American Party gathering in Utah on Saturday, Bundy told the crowd that the people who stood with him against the government "through that spiritual experience" could not have done so unless God was on their side.
From The Spectrum:
"The Lord told me... if [the sheriff doesn't] take away these arms [from federal agents] we the people will have to face these arms in a civil war. He said, 'This is your chance to straighten this thing up,'" Bundy said. [The Spectrum]
The Bureau of Land Management ultimately stood down when confronted with armed protesters, though it maintains Bundy owes the government more than $1 million in unpaid grazing fees and penalties.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
Subscribe to the Week