- Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Woman? August 4
After a long string of movies based on characters like Batman, Superman, and Iron Man — with "man" being the operative part of those titles — a major Hollywood studio is finally prepping a female-led superhero movie.
Deadline reports that Sony is currently planning an expansion of its Amazing Spider-Man franchise with an as-yet untitled movie centered on a female Spider-Man character. Lisa Joy Nolan was hired to write the script, and the studio is currently eyeing a release date sometime in 2017. Sony hasn't revealed which character the movie will be centered on, but Deadline lists a number of possibilities, including Spider-Woman, Silver Sable, and Black Cat (who was briefly played by Felicity Jones in The Amazing Spider-Man 2).
The news comes less than a week after Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige demurred on the subject of a female superhero movie. "I very much believe in doing it," Feige said, before explaining that the studio has too many ongoing superhero franchises to introduce another one. "I hope we do it sooner rather than later." Looks like they've been beaten to the punch.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- Why America needs more billionaires
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
Subscribe to the Week