- Say what? August 4
Alabama Rep. Mo Brooks (R) thinks immigration reform is just another prong in Democrats' assault on white people. In an interview Monday with conservative talk radio host Laura Ingraham, Brooks accused Democrats of trying to "turn [immigration] into a racial issue."
"This is a part of the war on whites that's being launched by the Democratic Party," he said. "And the way in which they're launching this war is by claiming that whites hate everybody else."
Republicans have on several occasions accused President Obama or Democrats in general of playing the race card to win more support. Earlier this year, some on the right snipped part of a quote Obama gave to the New Yorker to claim the president was blaming his woes on the color of his skin.
A bipartisan immigration bill passed the Senate last year by a 68-32 vote. Yet House Republicans spiked the measure, prompting President Obama to say he would soon unveil executive action to address the issue on his own.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The week's best photojournalism
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
Subscribe to the Week