- Throwback Headlock August 4
Twenty-one years ago Monday, Robin Ventura taught us all a valuable lesson: Don't mess with Nolan Ryan. Ever.
In 1993, the then-46-year-old Ryan was playing through his final big league season when his Rangers took on Ventura's White Sox. After a Ryan offering plunked Ventura in the arm, the White Sox third baseman made a feint to first before sprinting straight at the Hall of Famer. The confrontation did not end well for Ventura, as Ryan swiftly put him in a headlock and started pummeling his face.
Ventura went on to have a decent MLB career. Ryan went on to become a grumpy-looking dude whose glum visage could often be seen during Rangers games, scowling from behind home plate. Now in his late 60s, Ryan still looks like he could whoop a rookie foolish enough to challenge him. --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- It's time to kill school picture day
Subscribe to the Week