- Throwback Headlock August 4
Twenty-one years ago Monday, Robin Ventura taught us all a valuable lesson: Don't mess with Nolan Ryan. Ever.
In 1993, the then-46-year-old Ryan was playing through his final big league season when his Rangers took on Ventura's White Sox. After a Ryan offering plunked Ventura in the arm, the White Sox third baseman made a feint to first before sprinting straight at the Hall of Famer. The confrontation did not end well for Ventura, as Ryan swiftly put him in a headlock and started pummeling his face.
Ventura went on to have a decent MLB career. Ryan went on to become a grumpy-looking dude whose glum visage could often be seen during Rangers games, scowling from behind home plate. Now in his late 60s, Ryan still looks like he could whoop a rookie foolish enough to challenge him. --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
Subscribe to the Week