- Throwback Headlock August 4
Twenty-one years ago Monday, Robin Ventura taught us all a valuable lesson: Don't mess with Nolan Ryan. Ever.
In 1993, the then-46-year-old Ryan was playing through his final big league season when his Rangers took on Ventura's White Sox. After a Ryan offering plunked Ventura in the arm, the White Sox third baseman made a feint to first before sprinting straight at the Hall of Famer. The confrontation did not end well for Ventura, as Ryan swiftly put him in a headlock and started pummeling his face.
Ventura went on to have a decent MLB career. Ryan went on to become a grumpy-looking dude whose glum visage could often be seen during Rangers games, scowling from behind home plate. Now in his late 60s, Ryan still looks like he could whoop a rookie foolish enough to challenge him. --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- 10 things you need to know today: October 1, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The dumb war in Syria will haunt Democrats' 2014 prospects
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Why colleges' insistence on 'diversity' actually fails disadvantaged kids
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
Subscribe to the Week