- Throwback Headlock August 4
Twenty-one years ago Monday, Robin Ventura taught us all a valuable lesson: Don't mess with Nolan Ryan. Ever.
In 1993, the then-46-year-old Ryan was playing through his final big league season when his Rangers took on Ventura's White Sox. After a Ryan offering plunked Ventura in the arm, the White Sox third baseman made a feint to first before sprinting straight at the Hall of Famer. The confrontation did not end well for Ventura, as Ryan swiftly put him in a headlock and started pummeling his face.
Ventura went on to have a decent MLB career. Ryan went on to become a grumpy-looking dude whose glum visage could often be seen during Rangers games, scowling from behind home plate. Now in his late 60s, Ryan still looks like he could whoop a rookie foolish enough to challenge him. --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
Subscribe to the Week