- This just in August 4
Israel on Monday accepted an Egyptian-brokered cease-fire with Hamas, shortly after a Palestinian delegation agreed to honor the truce.
The preliminary 72-hour cease-fire, which would go into effect Tuesday morning, is considered a first step toward ending the month-long conflict between the two sides. Representatives from both parties are expected to travel to Egypt in the coming days to discuss a long-term agreement.
That said, multiple, brief cease-fires have collapsed before during the conflict, with each side accusing the other of playing the role of aggressor. In other words, the most recent truce, though a positive step, could easily fizzle, too.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
Subscribe to the Week