- Eat and run August 5
Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) didn't even have time to finish his burger as he beat a hasty retreat from immigration activists who ambushed him during a visit to Iowa.
The freshman lawmaker was out to eat with Iowa Rep. Steve King (R) — an ardent immigration reform foe who's made some questionable comments about alleged drug smugglers and cantaloupes — when DREAMer activists confronted the two. (DREAMers, the children of parents who came illegally to America, have been ambushing lawmakers with pointed immigration questions over the past year.) Rather than stick around and engage in a debate, Paul swiftly took off for the nearest exit, mid-chew.
Meanwhile, King debated for a few minutes, asked one of the activists if she was a drug smuggler, and told her she was "very good at English."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- This week I learned your coin toss odds are better than you think, and more
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
Subscribe to the Week