- Eat and run August 5
Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) didn't even have time to finish his burger as he beat a hasty retreat from immigration activists who ambushed him during a visit to Iowa.
The freshman lawmaker was out to eat with Iowa Rep. Steve King (R) — an ardent immigration reform foe who's made some questionable comments about alleged drug smugglers and cantaloupes — when DREAMer activists confronted the two. (DREAMers, the children of parents who came illegally to America, have been ambushing lawmakers with pointed immigration questions over the past year.) Rather than stick around and engage in a debate, Paul swiftly took off for the nearest exit, mid-chew.
Meanwhile, King debated for a few minutes, asked one of the activists if she was a drug smuggler, and told her she was "very good at English."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: October 24, 2014
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
Subscribe to the Week