- Scenes from a maul August 5
When faced with the choice of feasting on a fine meal of human while listening to Justin Bieber's music or fleeing to blessed — but hungry — quiet, one bear in Russia decided that silence is indeed golden.
A report in the Daily Mail details Russian fisherman Igor Vorozhbitsyn's unfortunate encounter with the brown bear, who attacked him from behind as he was walking to his favorite fishing spot in the Yakutia Republic. But as the bear was beginning to inflict serious injury on Vorozhbitsyn, his cellphone rang, and the ringtone of Justin Bieber hit "Baby" startled the animal, causing it to beat a hasty retreat.
"I know that sort of ringtone isn't to everyone's taste but my granddaughter loaded it onto my phone for a joke," Vorozhbitsyn said. Nice work, kid — you just saved Grandpa's life with nothing more than a tween anthem.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week