- Scenes from a maul August 5
When faced with the choice of feasting on a fine meal of human while listening to Justin Bieber's music or fleeing to blessed — but hungry — quiet, one bear in Russia decided that silence is indeed golden.
A report in the Daily Mail details Russian fisherman Igor Vorozhbitsyn's unfortunate encounter with the brown bear, who attacked him from behind as he was walking to his favorite fishing spot in the Yakutia Republic. But as the bear was beginning to inflict serious injury on Vorozhbitsyn, his cellphone rang, and the ringtone of Justin Bieber hit "Baby" startled the animal, causing it to beat a hasty retreat.
"I know that sort of ringtone isn't to everyone's taste but my granddaughter loaded it onto my phone for a joke," Vorozhbitsyn said. Nice work, kid — you just saved Grandpa's life with nothing more than a tween anthem.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- The dumb war in Syria will haunt Democrats' 2014 prospects
- You're reheating pizza wrong
Subscribe to the Week