- Scenes from a maul August 5
When faced with the choice of feasting on a fine meal of human while listening to Justin Bieber's music or fleeing to blessed — but hungry — quiet, one bear in Russia decided that silence is indeed golden.
A report in the Daily Mail details Russian fisherman Igor Vorozhbitsyn's unfortunate encounter with the brown bear, who attacked him from behind as he was walking to his favorite fishing spot in the Yakutia Republic. But as the bear was beginning to inflict serious injury on Vorozhbitsyn, his cellphone rang, and the ringtone of Justin Bieber hit "Baby" startled the animal, causing it to beat a hasty retreat.
"I know that sort of ringtone isn't to everyone's taste but my granddaughter loaded it onto my phone for a joke," Vorozhbitsyn said. Nice work, kid — you just saved Grandpa's life with nothing more than a tween anthem.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Rise of the machines
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- It's time to kill school picture day
- 10 things you need to know today: October 19, 2014
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week