- Quotables August 5
USA Swimming's Brett Favre is back, and Ryan Lochte — swimmer and psychic — couldn't be happier about it.
"I guarantee you'll be back before the Olympics,'" Lochte told Michael Phelps at the Golden Goggles Awards in 2012. "He's like, 'No way, I'm done.'"
Lochte's prediction proved right, as Phelps launched a comeback earlier this year, competing in April at the Arena Grand Prix, in Mesa, Arizona. This week, the rivals are entered in four of the same events at the U.S. national championships in Irvine. That's good for Lochte, since he told USA Today Sports that Phelps, who has 22 Olympic medals to his name, adds an extra level of competition in the pool.
"He's the toughest racer I've ever had to go up against," Lochte says. "It's a challenge because he doesn't want me to win, and I don't want him to win. We bump heads, and that's why our rivalry is so good. We have a friendship. Win or lose, outside of the pool we're going to be friends."
Friends with a score to settle. That 2012 Golden Goggles comment came with a friendly wager between Lochte and Phelps as to whether the retirement would stick.
"He owes me some money," Lochte said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The economics of Halloween: By the numbers
Subscribe to the Week