- civil whites act August 5
Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.) is standing by his controversial statement on Monday, when he accused Democrats of waging a "war on whites" — and he's now saying that white people are now the truly vulnerable group out there.
"It is repugnant for Democrats time after time after time to resort to cries of racism to divide Americans and drive up voter turnout," Brooks said Tuesday, in an interview with USA Today. "That is exactly what they are doing in order to drive up their vote and they are doing it when there is no racial discrimination involved."
If anything, Brooks concluded, the problem of racial discrimination is now exactly the opposite: "if you look at current federal law, there is only one skin color that you can lawfully discriminate against. That's Caucasians — whites."
Brooks first brought up this particular phrasing on Monday, when during an interview on talk radio he blamed Democrats for allegedly turning immigration into a racial issue. "This is a part of the war on whites that's being launched by the Democratic Party," he said. "And the way in which they're launching this war is by claiming that whites hate everybody else."- - Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How I lost all my money
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- George W. Bush 'ran the country like a cable network,' and other political insights from Chris Rock
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
Subscribe to the Week