- civil whites act August 5
Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.) is standing by his controversial statement on Monday, when he accused Democrats of waging a "war on whites" — and he's now saying that white people are now the truly vulnerable group out there.
"It is repugnant for Democrats time after time after time to resort to cries of racism to divide Americans and drive up voter turnout," Brooks said Tuesday, in an interview with USA Today. "That is exactly what they are doing in order to drive up their vote and they are doing it when there is no racial discrimination involved."
If anything, Brooks concluded, the problem of racial discrimination is now exactly the opposite: "if you look at current federal law, there is only one skin color that you can lawfully discriminate against. That's Caucasians — whites."
Brooks first brought up this particular phrasing on Monday, when during an interview on talk radio he blamed Democrats for allegedly turning immigration into a racial issue. "This is a part of the war on whites that's being launched by the Democratic Party," he said. "And the way in which they're launching this war is by claiming that whites hate everybody else."- - Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
Subscribe to the Week