- Coming Soon August 6
Anyone who didn't know that The Theory of Everything was a Stephen Hawking biopic might assume, based on this first trailer, that the film is just another indie rom-com. "I'm a cosmologist. I study the marriage of space and time," says Hawking (Eddie Redmayne) on an impromptu date with Jane Wilde (Felicity Jones).
In the midst of their romance, Hawking is diagnosed with motor neuron disease, and given a life expectancy of two years. But Wilde refuses to accept the grim prognosis, insisting that the duo will "fight this illness together" — and as Hawking fights through the illness, he continues to climb up the ranks of the scientific community.
It's a powerful story, and one that Hawking's many fans in the scientific community might not be familiar with. "It has been a great joy to watch this man defy every expectation, both scientific and personal," says an admirer at the end of the trailer. Moviegoers will get the chance to admire along with him when The Theory of Everything hits theaters in November. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- How to be a moral internet citizen on the often-immoral internet
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: September 22, 2014
Subscribe to the Week