- Nature's Wonders August 6
Here are the three weirdest things about hummingbirds, as explained by Hank Green:
* Their legs are so light that they can't walk or jump
* Their wings produce lift on the downstroke and the upstroke
* Their metabolic system burns the sugar they drink so fast they can't store energy as fat
Check out the video for a more extensive look at hummingbird strangeness. --Ryan Cooper
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
Subscribe to the Week