- Coming Soon August 7
In the midst of 2012's summer blockbuster season, an unexpected contender emerged for the season's breakout hit: the frothy comedy The Best Exotic Marigold, which grossed $136 million on a meager $10 million budget. In Hollywood, that kind of success means just one thing: sequel time!
What's different about The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (which is, in fact, the actual title)? The addition of Richard Gere, a silver fox who draws the eye of the hotel's female residents. Beyond that, it looks like Best Exotic Marigold Hotel fans can expect the same mix of whimsy and light banter from a qualified cast that includes Judi Dench, Bill Nighy, Maggie Smith, and Tom Wilkinson.
"I couldn't resist the chance to come back and visit the old crumbling ruins. And see how the hotel was doing as well," jokes Penelope Wilton at the end of the trailer. We'll see if audiences feel the same way when the movie hits theaters next year. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- Keira Knightley on Laggies, relationships, and surviving your 20s
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week