- Coming Soon August 7
In the midst of 2012's summer blockbuster season, an unexpected contender emerged for the season's breakout hit: the frothy comedy The Best Exotic Marigold, which grossed $136 million on a meager $10 million budget. In Hollywood, that kind of success means just one thing: sequel time!
What's different about The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (which is, in fact, the actual title)? The addition of Richard Gere, a silver fox who draws the eye of the hotel's female residents. Beyond that, it looks like Best Exotic Marigold Hotel fans can expect the same mix of whimsy and light banter from a qualified cast that includes Judi Dench, Bill Nighy, Maggie Smith, and Tom Wilkinson.
"I couldn't resist the chance to come back and visit the old crumbling ruins. And see how the hotel was doing as well," jokes Penelope Wilton at the end of the trailer. We'll see if audiences feel the same way when the movie hits theaters next year. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
Subscribe to the Week