- Israel and Palestine August 8
The Israeli military accused Hamas of firing two rockets from Gaza into southern Israel four hours before the Friday morning end of a three-day cease-fire, which Israel had offered to extend "indefinitely." Israel responded with renewed airstrikes. Palestinian negotiators in Egypt said Israel was stalling long-term peace talks by refusing to discuss Palestinian demands, and that they would not extend the truce "if Israel continues its procrastination." Israel responded that it "will not hold negotiations under fire." Read more at BBC News.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
Subscribe to the Week