- Israel and Palestine August 8
The Israeli military accused Hamas of firing two rockets from Gaza into southern Israel four hours before the Friday morning end of a three-day cease-fire, which Israel had offered to extend "indefinitely." Israel responded with renewed airstrikes. Palestinian negotiators in Egypt said Israel was stalling long-term peace talks by refusing to discuss Palestinian demands, and that they would not extend the truce "if Israel continues its procrastination." Israel responded that it "will not hold negotiations under fire." Read more at BBC News.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
Subscribe to the Week