- Israel and Palestine August 8
The Israeli military accused Hamas of firing two rockets from Gaza into southern Israel four hours before the Friday morning end of a three-day cease-fire, which Israel had offered to extend "indefinitely." Israel responded with renewed airstrikes. Palestinian negotiators in Egypt said Israel was stalling long-term peace talks by refusing to discuss Palestinian demands, and that they would not extend the truce "if Israel continues its procrastination." Israel responded that it "will not hold negotiations under fire." Read more at BBC News.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How Rand Paul's GOP opponents will use his minority outreach against him
Subscribe to the Week