- This is awkward August 9
Jonathan Capehart got more than he bargained for while guest-hosting Friday's edition of The Reid Report, which featured Hardball host Chris Matthews discussing Iraq.
Well, Matthews was supposed to discuss Iraq. He veered for a moment into some less-than-constructive criticism of MSNBC colleague Ezra Klein's "explanatory journalism" website Vox.com. In the clip, below, Capehart reads Matthews an excerpt from a piece analyzing the Iraq crisis that appeared on Vox, trying to ask Matthews to respond to the opinion. Instead, Matthews shuts him down — hard.
"I don't respond to that kind of stuff, okay," he says. "That's not of interest to me…Let me deal with the grown-ups, let me deal with the political people and not getting involved in the blogs and the websites."
Klein, who often appears on MSNBC programming as a contributor or guest host, may consider himself a political person, but looks like he may have to debate that with Matthews next time the two bump into each other in the hallways. Watch the full clip, below. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why insects are the future of food
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week