- foreign affairs August 10
In an interview with The Atlantic's Jeffrey Goldberg published Sunday, Hillary Clinton discussed everything from President Obama's approach to foreign policy to the way Israel is losing its "PR battle."
Regarding Syria and the rise of Islamist fighters, Clinton said:
The failure to help build up a credible fighting force of the people who were the originators of the protests against Assad — there were Islamists, there were secularists, there was everything in the middle — the failure to do that left a big vacuum, which the jihadists have now filled. They were often armed in an indiscriminate way by other forces and we had no skin in the game that really enabled us to prevent this indiscriminate arming. [The Atlantic]
Clinton said she is also worried about what is happening in the Middle East because of the "breakout capacity of jihadist groups" that "are governing territory" but "are driven to expand:"
Their raison d'être is to be again the West, against the Crusaders, against the fill-in-the-blank — and we all fit into one of these categories. How do we try to contain that? I'm thinking a lot about containment, deterrence, and defeat. [The Atlantic]
As for the conflict in Gaza, Clinton said: "Hamas paints itself as the defender of the rights of the Palestinians to have their own state. So that PR battle is one that is historically tilted against Israel." Clinton also touched on Iran and its nuclear program, noting that she'd "always been in the camp that held that they did not have a right to enrichment," adding that Iran's claim to such a right is "absolutely unfounded. There is no such right."
Read the entire interview at The Atlantic.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
Subscribe to the Week