- Whoa August 11
China's economic growth over the last 30 years has been stunning, averaging just under 10 percent per year, roughly three times the global average. But all of that economic growth has created some mountainous environmental and health-related challenges, too. Literally mountainous — like this huge pile of trash that towers nine stories above the ground in central China's Hebei province. --John Aziz
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- The European Union was supposed to end nationalism. It gave it new life instead.
Subscribe to the Week