- RIP August 11
J.J. Murphy — an 86-year-old Irish actor hired to play Ser Denys Mallister in Game of Thrones — has died just four days after filming his first scenes for the HBO fantasy drama. According to the Belfast Telegraph, Murphy was "due to shoot more scenes shortly" — but despite the role his character plays in the fantasy drama's upcoming fifth season, the network does not plan to find a new actor to fill the role.
"We will not be recasting J.J. Murphy," said creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss in an official statement released by HBO. "He was a lovely man, and the best Denys Mallister we could have hoped for. And now his watch is ended."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Adrian Peterson and our misguided debate about spanking
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The American middle class is no longer safe from poverty — and that might be a good thing
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- The Tea Party has its own immigration problem: Cuba
Subscribe to the Week