- RIP August 11
J.J. Murphy — an 86-year-old Irish actor hired to play Ser Denys Mallister in Game of Thrones — has died just four days after filming his first scenes for the HBO fantasy drama. According to the Belfast Telegraph, Murphy was "due to shoot more scenes shortly" — but despite the role his character plays in the fantasy drama's upcoming fifth season, the network does not plan to find a new actor to fill the role.
"We will not be recasting J.J. Murphy," said creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss in an official statement released by HBO. "He was a lovely man, and the best Denys Mallister we could have hoped for. And now his watch is ended."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
Subscribe to the Week