- RIP August 11
J.J. Murphy — an 86-year-old Irish actor hired to play Ser Denys Mallister in Game of Thrones — has died just four days after filming his first scenes for the HBO fantasy drama. According to the Belfast Telegraph, Murphy was "due to shoot more scenes shortly" — but despite the role his character plays in the fantasy drama's upcoming fifth season, the network does not plan to find a new actor to fill the role.
"We will not be recasting J.J. Murphy," said creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss in an official statement released by HBO. "He was a lovely man, and the best Denys Mallister we could have hoped for. And now his watch is ended."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week