- Quotables August 12
During a private meeting, President Obama reportedly called criticisms of his Syria policy "horsesh-t."
Hillary Clinton and a number of members of Congress have said Obama could have done more to help Syrian rebels, including giving them weapons. The Daily Beast reports that Obama responded to the bipartisan criticism, arguing the notion that providing weapons to rebels sooner would have helped Syria is complete "horsesh-t."
Obama reportedly issued the expletive in response to Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.)'s inquiry about his Syria policy. Corker recently wrote an op-ed for The Washington Post criticizing Obama's foreign policy, saying the president "left [the Syrian opposition] hanging."
Meanwhile, Hillary Clinton says that she proposed an initiative to arm the Syrian rebels in 2012, but her plan was rejected.
"I did believe, which is why I advocated this, that if we were to carefully vet, train, and equip early on a core group of the developing Free Syrian Army, we would, number one, have some better insight into what was going on on the ground," Clinton told The Atlantic.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
Subscribe to the Week