- Respects August 13
The news of Robin Williams' death hit hours after most late night TV shows had taped their shows, and only Conan O'Brien was able to end his Monday show with an emotional, shocked remembrance of the comedic (and dramatic) legend. On Tuesday night, there wasn't much else to say — except the obvious, that Williams will be missed — and Seth Meyers at Late Night covered that.
At The Tonight Show, Jimmy Fallon paid his respects with a pretty impressive Robin Williams impersonation. But nobody could do Williams like Williams himself, so Fallon rolled a clip of the comedian's first-ever appearance on The Tonight Show, in 1981, back when Johnny Carson was host — and Williams was apparently wearing shiny pants. Before signing off, Fallon had one more tribute to Robin Williams, and fans will recognize the reference at once. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- This week I learned your coin toss odds are better than you think, and more
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
Subscribe to the Week