- heroics August 18
Last Monday, a truck driver saved a woman and her 1-year-old granddaughter, and the story is now gaining national attention.
David Fredericksen saw a Lincoln Towncar crash into an 18-wheeler and burst into flames. He instantly jumped out of his truck to save the Towncar's two passengers trapped in the wreckage.
Though the Towncar's driver broke her leg, all involved survived the crash. Fredericksen told Jalopnik that he doesn't consider himself a hero and was just trying to make sure the passengers were alive. "Other people would've done what I did," Fredericksen said. "I'm just glad that they didn't die, you know?"
Fredericksen's dashboard camera recorded the event, and his son explains the situation in more detail in the video description. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week