- heroics August 18
Last Monday, a truck driver saved a woman and her 1-year-old granddaughter, and the story is now gaining national attention.
David Fredericksen saw a Lincoln Towncar crash into an 18-wheeler and burst into flames. He instantly jumped out of his truck to save the Towncar's two passengers trapped in the wreckage.
Though the Towncar's driver broke her leg, all involved survived the crash. Fredericksen told Jalopnik that he doesn't consider himself a hero and was just trying to make sure the passengers were alive. "Other people would've done what I did," Fredericksen said. "I'm just glad that they didn't die, you know?"
Fredericksen's dashboard camera recorded the event, and his son explains the situation in more detail in the video description. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The week's best photojournalism
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
Subscribe to the Week