- heroics August 18
Last Monday, a truck driver saved a woman and her 1-year-old granddaughter, and the story is now gaining national attention.
David Fredericksen saw a Lincoln Towncar crash into an 18-wheeler and burst into flames. He instantly jumped out of his truck to save the Towncar's two passengers trapped in the wreckage.
Though the Towncar's driver broke her leg, all involved survived the crash. Fredericksen told Jalopnik that he doesn't consider himself a hero and was just trying to make sure the passengers were alive. "Other people would've done what I did," Fredericksen said. "I'm just glad that they didn't die, you know?"
Fredericksen's dashboard camera recorded the event, and his son explains the situation in more detail in the video description. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 16, 2014
Subscribe to the Week