- Say what? August 21
President Obama on Wednesday briefly interrupted his vacation to condemn ISIS's execution of journalist James Foley. Then he went right back to playing golf.
Naturally, many critics blasted Obama's decision to continue vacationing amid crises. MSNBC host Joe Scarborough was not one of them, as he countered that Obama was actually sending a strong message to terrorists about his dearth of empathy.
"I think there are probably one or two terrorists — because this is how they make their money," he said, referring to reports that ISIS demanded a multi-million dollar ransom in exchange for Foley's release.
"They're negotiating with Spock with a pitching wedge," he went on. "And I'm sure there may even be one or two terrorists over in Syria looking at him and going, 'Wow, that's one cold bastard.'"
To be fair, it's unclear whether Scarborough was being facetious; he wound down his monologue by admitting, "I don't know what I'm doing."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- How to make corn dogs
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week