- Say what? August 21
President Obama on Wednesday briefly interrupted his vacation to condemn ISIS's execution of journalist James Foley. Then he went right back to playing golf.
Naturally, many critics blasted Obama's decision to continue vacationing amid crises. MSNBC host Joe Scarborough was not one of them, as he countered that Obama was actually sending a strong message to terrorists about his dearth of empathy.
"I think there are probably one or two terrorists — because this is how they make their money," he said, referring to reports that ISIS demanded a multi-million dollar ransom in exchange for Foley's release.
"They're negotiating with Spock with a pitching wedge," he went on. "And I'm sure there may even be one or two terrorists over in Syria looking at him and going, 'Wow, that's one cold bastard.'"
To be fair, it's unclear whether Scarborough was being facetious; he wound down his monologue by admitting, "I don't know what I'm doing."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to live a long life, according to science
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
Subscribe to the Week