- Say what? August 21
President Obama on Wednesday briefly interrupted his vacation to condemn ISIS's execution of journalist James Foley. Then he went right back to playing golf.
Naturally, many critics blasted Obama's decision to continue vacationing amid crises. MSNBC host Joe Scarborough was not one of them, as he countered that Obama was actually sending a strong message to terrorists about his dearth of empathy.
"I think there are probably one or two terrorists — because this is how they make their money," he said, referring to reports that ISIS demanded a multi-million dollar ransom in exchange for Foley's release.
"They're negotiating with Spock with a pitching wedge," he went on. "And I'm sure there may even be one or two terrorists over in Syria looking at him and going, 'Wow, that's one cold bastard.'"
To be fair, it's unclear whether Scarborough was being facetious; he wound down his monologue by admitting, "I don't know what I'm doing."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week