- John Oliver Rants August 25
John Oliver's HBO show Last Week Tonight is on hiatus for another two weeks, but he left a little gift for his fans online early Monday morning. Well, it was less a gift for his fans than a not-too-subtle dig at the hyperbole of internet headline writers (the headline above will make more sense if you watch the clip below). He trolls The Huffington Post, then explains this clip "in terms the internet will respond to: What happens at the 2:00 mark of this video will amaze you."
The ostensible target of Oliver's ire was the humble piñata, "or as they should be called, the Trojan donkeys of diabetes." His gist is that piñatas teach kids that cruelty to animals is tasty, and argues that parents at birthday parties should just give their guests candy instead of "trick-or-treating execution style." But his real target was the excitable viral-video phenomenon that has put his show on the map. And I don't know, by the end he looked like he kind of got the appeal of the piñata after all. There is some mildly NSFW language. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- The secret advantages of great penmanship
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
- How to live a long life, according to science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real lesson of the looming Martha Coakley disaster
Subscribe to the Week