- John Oliver Rants August 25
John Oliver's HBO show Last Week Tonight is on hiatus for another two weeks, but he left a little gift for his fans online early Monday morning. Well, it was less a gift for his fans than a not-too-subtle dig at the hyperbole of internet headline writers (the headline above will make more sense if you watch the clip below). He trolls The Huffington Post, then explains this clip "in terms the internet will respond to: What happens at the 2:00 mark of this video will amaze you."
The ostensible target of Oliver's ire was the humble piñata, "or as they should be called, the Trojan donkeys of diabetes." His gist is that piñatas teach kids that cruelty to animals is tasty, and argues that parents at birthday parties should just give their guests candy instead of "trick-or-treating execution style." But his real target was the excitable viral-video phenomenon that has put his show on the map. And I don't know, by the end he looked like he kind of got the appeal of the piñata after all. There is some mildly NSFW language. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Germany has a serious wolf problem
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- There's a raging Islamic insurgency in Thailand's strangest party town
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How Sonia Sotomayor became the Supreme Court's preeminent defender of civil liberties
- How I lost all my money
- Why we can't educate racism away
- 10 things you need to know today: December 28, 2014
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week