- The Daily Showdown August 27
On Tuesday night, Jon Stewart returned to the Daily Show desk from a "particularly nice vacation" to discuss the shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri. He apparently wanted to have that "national conversation on race" that Bill Clinton tried to start in 1997, and he wanted to have it with Fox News, whose hosts and guests have been particularly skeptical that race played any role in a white police officer shooting an unarmed black teenager — or that America's history with racism had anything to do with the reaction in Ferguson.
It's a pretty pretty comprehensive rebuttal of various Fox News arguments, and a pretty heartfelt segment from Stewart, especially near the end. "Race is there, and it's a constant," he said, reminding Fox News' indignant white personalities that black Americans are humiliated or worse every day. "You're tired of hearing about it? Imagine how f--king exhausting it is living it." The segment ends with a few minutes of tragicomic relief from Stewart and "Senior Missouri Correspondent" Michael Che. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why insects are the future of food
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week