- The Daily Showdown August 28
On Wednesday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart offered a pretty counterintuitive approach to handling the insurgency from the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS). After halfheartedly walking his viewers through ISIS 101, using his patented technique of having TV news clips answer his leading questions, Stewart focused on the Islamist militia's plans for carving out an Islamic caliphate. And he addressed ISIS directly, issuing a stark warning: Be careful what you wish for.
"That's right ISIS, look at us," Stewart said. "We're living your dream. We're the most powerful state in history, we influence the whole world, and all we talk about is how everything sucks now!" Well, if cautionary tales about bogged-down bureaucracy and partisan gridlock doesn't stop ISIS, at least it's cheaper than airstrikes. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Surviving a plane crash
- Lauren Bacall's remarkably honest account of Humphrey Bogart's death
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week