- The Daily Showdown August 28
On Wednesday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart offered a pretty counterintuitive approach to handling the insurgency from the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS). After halfheartedly walking his viewers through ISIS 101, using his patented technique of having TV news clips answer his leading questions, Stewart focused on the Islamist militia's plans for carving out an Islamic caliphate. And he addressed ISIS directly, issuing a stark warning: Be careful what you wish for.
"That's right ISIS, look at us," Stewart said. "We're living your dream. We're the most powerful state in history, we influence the whole world, and all we talk about is how everything sucks now!" Well, if cautionary tales about bogged-down bureaucracy and partisan gridlock doesn't stop ISIS, at least it's cheaper than airstrikes. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
Subscribe to the Week