- The Daily Showdown August 28
On Wednesday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart offered a pretty counterintuitive approach to handling the insurgency from the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS). After halfheartedly walking his viewers through ISIS 101, using his patented technique of having TV news clips answer his leading questions, Stewart focused on the Islamist militia's plans for carving out an Islamic caliphate. And he addressed ISIS directly, issuing a stark warning: Be careful what you wish for.
"That's right ISIS, look at us," Stewart said. "We're living your dream. We're the most powerful state in history, we influence the whole world, and all we talk about is how everything sucks now!" Well, if cautionary tales about bogged-down bureaucracy and partisan gridlock doesn't stop ISIS, at least it's cheaper than airstrikes. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
Subscribe to the Week