×
FOLLOW THE WEEK ON FACEBOOK
October 18, 2017
JIM WATSON/AFP/Getty Images

The American Civil Liberties Union filed a suit on behalf of Jane Doe on Friday in Washington, D.C., challenging a previously unknown abortion ban for pregnant girls who are in immigration custody in government-funded shelters. Under the Trump administration policy, government-funded shelters cannot release minors for abortion-related services without approval from the U.S. Office of Refugee Resettlement. Scott Lloyd, director of the U.S. Office of Refugee Resettlement, has said he will allow release only for "pregnancy services and life-affirming options counseling."

The ACLU's initial lawsuit, filed in June 2016 in San Francisco, challenged the Obama administration's practice of placing young immigrants in shelters run by government-funded religious organizations. While U.S. Magistrate Judge Laurel Beeler said that the Office of Refugee Resettlement had "no justification" for its refusal to allow Jane Doe to receive an abortion, she also concluded that she did not have jurisdiction over the government's actions in another state, given the matter was not closely related to the ACLU's original lawsuit.

Jane Doe's lawyers claim that pregnant minors in government-funded shelters are funneled to religiously sponsored "crisis pregnancy centers" that discourage abortions and pressure minors to carry out unwanted pregnancies, thus violating girls' constitutional right to privacy "by wielding a veto power over their abortion decisions."

The Office of Refugee Resettlement released a statement Monday night claiming its "legal responsibility to decide what is in the best interests of a minor in the unaccompanied alien program and in this case, her unborn baby." Kelly O'Meara Morales

November 3, 2016

Donald Trump's latest campaign ad urges America to "think about" the fact that new emails potentially related to Hillary Clinton's email server investigation were found on "pervert Anthony Weiner's laptop."

"America's most sensitive secrets, unlawfully sent, received, and exposed by Hillary Clinton, her staff, and Anthony Weiner," the 30-second spot booms. The ad comes after FBI Director James Comey's announcement last week that new emails had been discovered on the laptop of Weiner, the estranged husband of top Clinton aide Huma Abedin. Weiner's laptop was seized in a separate investigation into reports he'd sent sexually explicit messages to a 15-year-old girl.

Add Weiner to Clinton's "decades of lies, cover-ups, and scandals," and that makes for a presidential candidate "unfit to serve," the ad concludes. Watch it below. Becca Stanek