FOLLOW THE WEEK ON FACEBOOK
October 20, 2016

In an interview Wednesday night, Donna Brazile, former CNN contributor and acting chairperson of the Democratic National Committee, maintained her innocence amid allegations she leaked a town hall question to the Clinton campaign — even when Fox News host Megyn Kelly pulled up an email plainly showing Brazile saying otherwise. "I did not receive any questions from CNN, let's just be very clear," Brazile said, when Kelly asked how she got the debate question "verbatim."

Brazile jumped on the defensive, telling Kelly, "I will not sit here and be persecuted because your information is totally false." Kelly pointed out that her "information" came from Hillary Clinton campaign manager John Podesta's emails, which were published by WikiLeaks. In the email in question, Brazile appears to write, "From time to time, I get the questions in advance," before relaying to the campaign a question moderator Roland Martin asked almost exactly at the town hall event the next day.

Brazile refused to "try to validate falsified information," suggesting the emails "stolen" from Podesta were "doctored." Watch Brazile's attempts to deflect the evidence, below. Becca Stanek

April 15, 2016
Eduardo Munoz Alvarez/Getty Images

While no one else at the 2012 Geneva International Model United Nations delegation may remember his presence, Donald Trump's foreign policy adviser George Papadopoulous certainly seems to remember being there. Written on Papadopoulous' resume — among various other claims that The Washington Post calls into question — is that he served as a "U.S. Representative at the 2012 Geneva International Model United Nations." Upon asking two people who were part of the delegation that year, including the current secretary general of the Geneva program, The Washington Post reports that both "had no recollection of him being there."

Read the full rundown of resume accolades that Papadopoulous allegedly fabricated over at The Washington Post — yes, there are more. Becca Stanek

August 5, 2015
Matthew Busch/Getty Images

Donald Trump's presidential campaign appears to have ended relations with their Arizona-based director, Aaron Borders, following an inquiry from BuzzFeed News about Borders' Islamophobic and racist Facebook posts. Trump's campaign then told BuzzFeed in a statement that Borders had never been connected to the campaign at all.

In tapes provided to BuzzFeed by Borders, Trump's campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, is recorded hiring Borders. Later tapes, recorded after BuzzFeed's inquiry into Borders' posts, reveal Lewandowski firing Borders and threatening to "sue your f--king ass to next year."

"It's just not something we do," Lewandowski said to Borders in the recordings, referring to him as "staff." "We don't have staff stories and we don't have staff in stories about things... We'll just tell BuzzFeed that there's no formal relationship, that you're an overzealous volunteer, and that you're not part of the campaign in any way shape or form, regardless of what the story says."

"I just can't have this, it's a problem. It's just no good. It's negative publicity on staff. I just can't have it," he concluded.

This exchange matched the wording of an email from Trump's campaign spokesperson, Hope Hicks, who promptly replied to a request for comment by writing that "we do not have a state director in AZ. I've never heard of Aaron, but he appears to be an over-zealous volunteer. Let me know if you need anything else." [BuzzFeed]

Last week, Trump's campaign fired longtime aide Sam Nunberg after Business Insider turned up racist posts on his personal Facebook page. Jeva Lange

April 27, 2015

Officials have apprehended a group of thieves who attempted to break into China's ancient Guanghui Temple, in the Hebei province.

The eight-member gang of tomb raiders hatched quite an elaborate plan: They rented a restaurant near the temple and tried to dig a 165-foot tunnel into the ancient site. The group hoped to loot the temple's Hua Pagoda, which is decorated with elaborate carvings, including Buddhas as well as elephants and other animals, Ancient Origins reports. The temple dates to the Tang Dynasty, which lasted from 618 to 907 C.E.

The plan almost worked, too: The thieves made it within 65 feet of the pagoda before they were caught. Police grew suspicious when the restaurant never opened, and they eventually received a tip about suspicious activity there. The officials found the tunnel just in time, and their investigation revealed that the group had been at work on the tunnel for months.

Five people involved in the attempted heist were arrested, but the other three are still at large. Ancient Origins notes that tomb raiding is common in China, and criminals are developing more and more elaborate schemes to get their hands on historical treasures. Meghan DeMaria

February 27, 2015
(AP Photo/U.S Department of Justice)

U.S. authorities seized a stolen Picasso painting at the Port of Newark, and it will be returned to its home at France's National Museum.

U.S. Attorney Loretta Lynch filed papers to forfeit the cubist painting, "La Coiffeuse," which was taken from a storage unit at the Centre Georges Pompidou in 2001.

The painting was shipped to the U.S. via Federal Express from Belgium in December, and it was on its way to a climate-controlled storage facility in Queens. The original shipment had described its contents as a $37 "art craft."

"A lost painting has been found," Lynch said in a statement. The sender and recipient have not been publicly identified. Meghan DeMaria

December 8, 2014

Six alleged looters were apprehended as they tried to flee Israel's famed "Cave of Skulls" with a very unusual object, Israel's Antiquities Authority announced on Sunday.

Israeli officials described the team as a sophisticated bunch, using ropes and excavation equipment to navigate the intricate systems of caves once used as a hideout by Jewish rebels in their war against Rome. The caves are still home to many ancient relics the rebels left behind; the famed Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered nearby.

Officials had been after this team for about a year. "These guys did really amazing stuff," Guy Fitoussi, a director of the Antiquities Authority, told NPR. "I mean, bad amazing."

And the loot? Caught on one of the six alleged looters was a 2,000-year-old lice comb. --Nico Lauricella