×
FOLLOW THE WEEK ON FACEBOOK
November 18, 2017
Alejandro Mortiz/Getty Images

The Argentine navy has been unable to make contact with one of its submarines, a diesel-powered craft carrying 44 crewmembers, since Wednesday, Argentine officials confirmed Saturday. Naval authorities have ordered "all terrestrial communication stations along the Argentine coast to carry out a preliminary and extended search of communications," and the U.S. military is assisting the search with aerial surveillance.

The ARA San Juan has been in service since 1983 and has operated without incident throughout most of that time. It was on a routine trip up the eastern coast of South America to its home port of Mar del Plata when communications capabilities apparently failed without warning. The submarine crew did not send an SOS signal before going silent, and the ship was last seen near the San Jorge Gulf, about halfway through its journey from the southern tip of the continent. Naval policy dictates the sub should surface after spending this much time incommunicado.

The ARA San Juan is due to arrive in Mar del Plata on Sunday. Bonnie Kristian

May 30, 2016

On Monday, more than 100 rescuers in Japan frantically searched for a missing 7-year-old boy, who was left behind in the woods, apparently as a form of punishment.

The boy, Yamato Tanooka, has been missing for two days on northern Hokkaido island, in an area known to have bears. A police spokesperson told NBC News his parents first said they became separated from their son while foraging in the woods for plants, but later a family member told police the boy was left as a "form of discipline." The police did not say why Tanooka was being punished or how long he was left alone, but local media reports that he was disciplined for throwing rocks at cars and was out of sight for five minutes.

In an appearance on Japanese television, Tanooka's father, whose name is being withheld, said he wanted to "apologize to my son, also for causing trouble for so many people. I'm just filled with the feeling hoping that he comes back safely." Catherine Garcia

January 18, 2016

Three American contractors were kidnapped from a Baghdad apartment known to be a brothel on Friday afternoon, U.S. and Iraqi officials told CNN Monday.

The men — two Iraqi-Americans and an Egyptian-American working for the security service company Sallyport — were kidnapped from the Dora neighborhood, and officials spent Monday searching the al-Saha portion of the area, CNN reports. Authorities are trying to figure out if the men were lured to the apartment, or if they were found to be there and then kidnapped. An Iraqi official told CNN they were taken away from the apartment in a vehicle convoy. U.S. State Department spokesman John Kirby said the department is aware of the report that American citizens are missing in Baghdad, and "we are working with the full cooperation of the Iraq authorities to locate and recover the individuals." Catherine Garcia

November 29, 2014

Kosta Karageorge, a 22-year-old walk-on defensive tackle for the Ohio State Buckeyes, has been missing since early Wednesday morning, The Columbus Dispatch reports.

A senior who reportedly has a history of sports-related concussions, Karageorge sent his mother Susan a text message earlier on Wednesday, saying, "I am sorry if I am an embarrassment but these concussions have my head all f—ed up."

His parents contacted the police, who are treating the disappearance as a missing-person case, after Karageorge failed to return to his apartment or show up to football practice on Wednesday. More than 150 volunteers turned out to search for the Ohio State Buckeye on Saturday, as his team prepared for its final home game against Michigan. Sarah Eberspacher