×
FOLLOW THE WEEK ON FACEBOOK
April 27, 2018
Paul Morigi/Getty Images for WS Productions

A former NBC News correspondent told The Washington Post in a report published late Thursday that during the 1990s, former anchor Tom Brokaw made unwanted sexual advances toward her, once forcibly trying to kiss her after inviting himself into her hotel room.

Brokaw fiercely disputed claims from the woman, Linda Vester, calling her descriptions "melodramatic" and akin to a "drive-by shooting" in a letter circulated to NBC News colleagues Friday, the Los Angeles Times reports. Brokaw characterized Vester as a bitter ex-employee who wanted to attack NBC because of her "limited success" at the network.

"I should not have gone but I emphatically did not verbally and physically attack her and suggest an affair in language right out of pulp fiction," Brokaw said in the letter of the hotel room meeting. The letter also criticized Vester for making the allegations public in the Post rather than mentioning her discomfort to Brokaw first. "She couldn't pick up the phone and say, 'I'd like to talk. I have issues from those two meetings 20 years ago'? Instead she became a character assassin. Strip away all of the hyperbole and what has she achieved? What was her goal? Hard to believe it wasn't much more Look At Me than Me:Too."

Brokaw has additionally denied allegations from another woman, a former production assistant who asked to remain anonymous, who told the Post that Brokaw grabbed her hands and put them under his jacket and against his chest in the 1990s. Both women said they did not file a complaint for fear of retribution. Read more at the Los Angeles Times. Summer Meza

April 26, 2018
Paul Morigi/Getty Images

A former NBC News correspondent told The Washington Post that during the 1990s, former anchor Tom Brokaw made unwanted sexual advances toward her, once forcibly trying to kiss her after inviting himself into her hotel room.

Linda Vester, who was in her 20s at the time, tells the Post she did not file a complaint because she was worried about retribution. "I am speaking out now because NBC has failed to hire outside counsel to investigate a genuine, long-standing problem of sexual misconduct in the news division," she said. Another woman, a former production assistant who asked to remain anonymous, told the Post that Brokaw acted inappropriately with her in the 1990s, grabbing her hands and putting them under his jacket and against his chest.

Brokaw denied the allegations, telling the Post: "The meetings were brief, cordial, and appropriate, and despite Linda's allegations, I made no romantic overtures toward her, at that time or any other." Late last year, NBC fired Today co-host Matt Lauer after he was accused of sexual misconduct. The Post spoke with 12 female NBC staffers who said they were sexually harassed but never reported it; three said the harassment came from Lauer — one woman said he exposed himself in his office, another said she had sex with him in his office in the middle of the day, and a third said he gave her a sex toy.

Three of Lauer's supporters told the Post that the relationships were consensual, and in a statement, Lauer acknowledged that he "acted inappropriately as a husband, father, and principal at NBC. However, I want to make it perfectly clear that any allegations or reports of coercive, aggressive, or abusive actions on my part, at any time, are absolutely false." For more on how NBC News has handled sexual misconduct allegations and the warning Ann Curry says NBC ignored, visit The Washington Post. Catherine Garcia

March 28, 2018
Ethan Miller/Getty Images

Several former employees of properties owned by Steve Wynn told The Wall Street Journal that executives and supervisors protected the casino magnate and enabled his alleged sexual misconduct for decades.

In January, the Journal reported allegations of sexual harassment against Wynn, and he ultimately resigned as chief executive of Wynn Resorts and finance chairman of the Republican National Committee. Dozens of additional former employees have since gone on the record, telling the Journal about either alleged first-hand incidents involving Wynn or complaints that they forwarded along to supervisors and executives, which were ignored.

Jorgen Nielsen, who in the mid-2000s was artistic director of the salon at the Wynn in Las Vegas, said it was made clear that any complaints about Wynn should be taken directly to Doreen Whennen, the vice president of hotel operations at the time, or Marc Schorr, then-chief operating officer. Nielsen said he told Whennen of several accusations that salon employees had made against Wynn, and at times she told him to look in their files to see if there was any information that could be used to get the women fired. "It was always the person's fault," Nielsen said. "Nobody really looked into it." Whennen's attorney did not comment to the Journal.

A former manicurist at the salon told the Journal that Wynn would rub his leg against hers, and a former masseuse alleged that he indicated during sessions that she should massage his genitals, with both saying nothing was done when they complained. For more on the accusations, including one from a former employee of The Mirage who said she was threatened after being sexually assaulted by Wynn in the 1990s, and the response from management, visit The Wall Street Journal. Catherine Garcia

January 14, 2018
Patrick Kovarik/Getty Images

Vogue and other fashion magazines have announced they will not work with acclaimed photographers Mario Testino and Bruce Weber "for the foreseeable future" after a Saturday New York Times report in which more than a dozen male models and former colleagues accused each man of sexual exploitation.

"I remember him putting his fingers in my mouth, and him grabbing my privates," said model Robyn Sinclair of Weber. "We never had sex or anything, but a lot of things happened. A lot of touching. A lot of molestation." Testino is accused of similar behavior, including forced "groping and masturbation."

Weber categorically rejected the accusations, saying he is "shocked and saddened by the outrageous claims being made against me, which I absolutely deny." Testino's representative argued his accusers could not be trusted, stating the photographer's former employees were "shocked by the allegations" and "could not confirm any of the claims."

Read the full Times story here. Bonnie Kristian

December 23, 2017
Frazer Harrison/Getty Images

A singer named Joy Villa has accused President Trump's former campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, of slapping her butt at a party without her consent.

Villa was attending a private celebration of the Trump administration's first year at the president's hotel in Washington in November. She says she was posing for a photo with Lewandowski when he groped her. "I'm wearing this silver suit and stretchy pants, and after the photo, he smacks my ass really hard," Villa said. "It was completely demeaning and shocking."

"I said, 'Watch it.' Half-joking, I said, 'I can report you for sexual harassment,'" Villa added. "He said, 'Go ahead, I work in the private sector," she continued about Lewandowski. "Then he smacks my ass again."

Lewandowski was previously accused of manhandling a Breitbart News reporter, Michelle Fields, and bruising her arm. Fields sarcastically tweeted that Villa must be "delusional," a word Lewandowski applied to Fields last year. After that allegation, Lewandowski's coworkers described him as lewd, hotheaded, and profane.

Lewandowski did not reply to multiple requests from Politico for comment on Villa's accusation. Bonnie Kristian

December 16, 2017
ABC News/Screenshot

A civil rights lawyer named Lisa Bloom solicited donations to pay women who have made or were considering making sexual harassment allegations against President Trump, The Hill reported Friday. Documents reviewed by The Hill date these efforts to the final months of the 2016 election and suggest that people associated with political action committees supporting Hillary Clinton were among those Bloom contacted.

"Bloom's efforts included offering to sell alleged victims' stories to TV outlets in return for a commission for herself," The Hill story says, as well as "arranging a donor to pay off one Trump accuser's mortgage and attempting to secure a six-figure payment for another woman who ultimately declined to come forward after being offered as much as $750,000."

Bloom told The Hill donors came to her with the money, not vice versa, and "said her goal in securing money was not to pressure the women to come forward, but rather to help them relocate or arrange security" if they felt they were in danger after speaking out.

In an appearance on ABC's Good Morning America on Saturday, Bloom again denied soliciting money, saying "donors reached out" to her "and said, 'Oh my God, what can we do to help these women?'" "If you're a single mom unemployed on the verge of bankruptcy and thinking about speaking out against Donald Trump," she added, "an offer of relocation and round-the-clock security is very meaningful to you." Bonnie Kristian

November 12, 2017
Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images

Actor Richard Dreyfuss, known for films like Jaws and American Graffiti, was accused Saturday of sexually harassing a writer named Jessica Teich over the course of several years in the 1980s while they worked together on a television show. Teich told Vulture Dreyfuss exposed himself to her and "created a very hostile work environment, where I felt sexualized, objectified, and unsafe."

Dreyfuss said in a lengthy statement to Vulture he never exposed himself but did "flirt with" Teich and tried to kiss her "as part of what I thought was a consensual seduction ritual." Dreyfuss added that he is "horrified and bewildered to discover that it wasn't consensual."

This comes one day after actor George Takei was accused of sexual assault, also in the 1980s. Bonnie Kristian

November 11, 2017

Actor George Takei, best known for his role in Star Trek, was accused of sexual assault in a Hollywood Reporter story published Friday night. This is the latest in a string of similar recent accusations against prominent figures in media and politics.

Takei's accuser is a former actor and model named Scott R. Brunton who says he met Takei in 1981. Brunton alleges that while sharing a drink at Takei's apartment, he began to feel "very disoriented and dizzy." He passed out and awoke to find Takei "had my pants down around my ankles and he was groping my crotch and trying to get my underwear off." Brunton then left the apartment over Takei's protests.

Takei categorically denied the allegations in a tweeted statement Saturday, thanking his husband and fans for their support:

The Hollywood Reporter spoke to four of Brunton's friends, all of whom said on the record he told them this story "years ago." Bonnie Kristian

See More Speed Reads