It suddenly feels like 2016 all over again on Twitter.
Last night, President Trump took a jab at "Crooked" Hillary Clinton for blaming "everybody (and every thing) but herself for her election loss" in her new book, What Happened:
Crooked Hillary Clinton blames everybody (and every thing) but herself for her election loss. She lost the debates and lost her direction!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 14, 2017
Clinton responded this morning with an offer to send Trump a copy of another one of her books: It Takes a Village, a picture book recommended for children 4 to 8 years old. "If you didn't like that book," Clinton tweeted, referring to What Happened, there are "some good lessons in here about working together to solve problems" — and significantly fewer words per page. Becca Stanek
If you didn't like that book, try this one — some good lessons in here about working together to solve problems. Happy to send a copy. pic.twitter.com/7dmVJ44mZu
— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) September 14, 2017
President Trump's re-election campaign already sounds a whole lot like his 2016 campaign, judging by his single-minded focus on trashing CNN, The Intercept reports. While the press was not allowed at his D.C. fundraiser (which took place, to no one's surprise, at his own hotel), attendees could get a spot at the event for $35,000 a pop.
What that money bought them: A seat to witness a signature Trump media rant, caught on tape published by The Intercept. "It's a shame what they've done to the name CNN, that I can tell you," Trump told the crowd. "But as far as I'm concerned, I love it. If anybody's a lawyer in the house and thinks I have a good lawsuit — I feel like we do. Wouldn't that be fun?" The threats to sue, for what it's worth, are also a signature Trump campaign line.
Trump also slammed CNN's staff as being "horrible human beings" and gloated, "Boy, did CNN get killed over the last few days," a reference to three reporters resigning over a story that did not meet CNN's editorial standards. Listen below via The Intercept. Jeva Lange
If it sounds like a gushing statement issued Monday by the White House came from ExxonMobil's PR department, it's because part of it did.
— Business Insider (@businessinsider) March 7, 2017
Earlier in the day, Exxon published a press release that touted its plan to expand manufacturing along the U.S. Gulf Coast, and included a quote from the company's chairman and CEO, Darren Woods. Not long after, the White House released a statement regarding Exxon's plan, praising the company for "its ambitious $20 billion investment program." From there, the statement took on a very familiar tone, as it included an entire paragraph lifted from the ExxonMobil document, and used Woods' quote without any attribution.
President Trump also fawned over Exxon on Twitter, posting multiple times about the company and "JOBS, JOBS, JOBS!" This did little to assuage the fears of people who believe the White House is too close to ExxonMobil, as Secretary of State Rex Tillerson was ExxonMobil's CEO until his confirmation earlier this year. A spokesman for Exxon told The Huffington Post the company gave the White House "information about an announcement we were making and they decided to issue a statement congratulating us." Catherine Garcia
Hillary Clinton lost the presidential election, but an email controversy may still end up plaguing the White House. Turns out, Vice President-elect Mike Pence is also being dogged by a case over alleged "email secrecy," the Indianapolis Star reported Monday.
On Nov. 21, the Indiana Court of Appeals will hear oral arguments over whether Pence should be forced to release redacted portions of documents, including email communications between Pence and Daniel Hodge, the chief of staff of Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R). The documents in question pertain to Pence's decision to hire outside counsel in a lawsuit Republican governors brought against President Obama for his 2014 executive action on immigration. Democratic labor lawyer William Groth requested the documents because he suspected Pence's hiring of an external law firm was a "waste of taxpayer dollars." [T]he people have the right to know how much of their money was spent,” Groth said.
Though Pence responded to Groth with 57 pages of information, the documents reportedly had "substantial redaction" and a political "white paper" was apparently not attached, Indy Star reported. Groth brought the matter to the Indiana Superior Court, which ruled "the issue was not a matter for the courts to decide."
Groth appealed that decision in June, resulting in the Nov. 21 court date. Experts argue that if the courts rule in favor of Pence, "'that would severely limit the Access to Public Records Act,'" a former Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law professor told Indy Star. Another law professor said: "It comes down to this — the court is giving up its ability to check another branch of government, and that should worry people." Becca Stanek
On Sunday, a North Carolina prison worker was charged with helping a convicted murderer escape from the Brown Creek Correctional Institution in Polkton, North Carolina.
— Patrick Wright (@ptwright) June 28, 2015
Authorities believe that on Saturday, Kristopher McNeil, 29, climbed over a fence at the minimum-security unit of the prison, 45 miles east of Charlotte, The Associated Press reports. McNeil was serving a sentence for second-degree murder, and was scheduled for release in 2018.
Kendra Lynette Miller, 33, faces multiple charges in connection with the escape, including harboring a fugitive and aiding and abetting a fugitive. She also stands accused of having sex with an inmate and providing a cellphone. Miller started working at the prison in December, and it's believed that McNeil worked in the kitchen with her, state prisons spokeswoman Pamela Walker said. Catherine Garcia
Sorry, but neither Walt nor Jesse will grace Better Call Saul's first season.
Besides those two Breaking Bad characters, though? "Everything else is on the table," creator Peter Gould said.
Gould, along with co-creator Vince Gilligan, took questions at the Television Critics Association press tour on Saturday. AMC's new series, which is a prequel to Breaking Bad and premieres on Feb. 8, focuses on slippery lawyer Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk).
"He's a different guy," Odenkirk said. "(The writers) have a great time creating highly conflicting ethical situations where the character has to navigate a complex and ever-changing prism of ethical choices."
Could those choices eventually involve characters with which Breaking Bad fans are already well-familiar?
"Any of these characters could conceivably show up in future seasons," Gilligan said. "But the intention is it will feel proper and organic, because if it feels like a stunt, then something has gone terribly wrong in the writers' room."
Officer Peter Liang and his partner were patrolling a Brooklyn housing project one night in late November when Gurley and his girlfriend walked into the dark stairwell one floor below. Liang fired at Gurley, who lost consciousness soon after and was pronounced dead upon arriving at the hospital.
In the aftermath of the shooting, Liang allegedly texted his union representative instead of calling for help, The New York Daily News reports.
Liang, a rookie cop, was reassigned and stripped of his badge. Brooklyn district attorney Kenneth P. Thompson said Friday he hasn't yet decided on a timeline for when the jury would convene or which, if any, charges he'll recommend the jury considers. Julie Kliegman
On Wednesday night, a white off-duty police officer working a second job as a security guard shot and killed a young black man in St. Louis, sparking an angry gathering of area residents who compared the situation to the death of Michael Brown exactly two months ago.
Following the shooting, a crowd quickly congregated at the scene, not far from the Missouri Botanical Garden. Some in attendance said they were related to the dead man, identified by the family as 18-year-old Vonderrit Myers Jr. "He was unarmed," Teyonna Meyers, a woman who said she was his cousin, told the Los Angeles Times. "He had a sandwich in his hand and they thought it was a gun."
A St. Louis police spokeswoman, Schron Jackson, told the Times the officer was performing a "pedestrian check" when the man who was shot began to run away. The officer chased him, and the man allegedly fired his gun at the officer. At that point, the officer fired back, and the suspect was hit. The officer was not injured. Catherine Garcia