Opening in eight theaters on Friday, Kevin Spacey's new movie, Billionaire Boys Club, didn't even crack $300 at the box office in its first two days.
On Friday, the movie made $126, and on Saturday, just $162, The Hollywood Reporter said Sunday. That's less than most people spend at Costco on the weekend, likely due to Spacey having been accused last year of sexual harassment and assault by several men. After the allegations were made public, he was fired from House of Cards and his scenes in All the Money in the World were re-shot, with Christopher Plummer taking his place.
Billionaire Boys Club is a crime drama, also starring Ansel Elgort and Taron Egerton. Its distributor, Vertical Entertainment, announced it would become available on video on demand in July and then released in theaters, as to not punish everyone else who participated in making the movie. "In the end, we hope audiences make up their own minds as to the reprehensible allegations of one person's past, but not at the expense of the entire cast and crew present on this film," Vertical Entertainment said in a statement. Catherine Garcia
Sci-fi thriller The Meg had an impressive opening weekend, bringing in an estimated $44.5 million at the U.S. box office.
The Warner Bros. film about scientists trying to keep an enormous shark from causing chaos was expected to debut with $20 million domestically. It's estimated the movie brought in $141.3 million worldwide. The Meg had the biggest domestic opening for a live-action shark movie, not adjusted for inflation; The Hollywood Reporter says Jaws is still the top-grossing live-action shark film in the U.S., adjusted or not.
Mission: Impossible — Fallout dropped from the top spot to No. 2 with $20 million, followed by Christopher Robin with $12.4 million, Slender Man with $11.3 million, and Spike Lee's BlacKkKlansman with $10.8 million. Catherine Garcia
NBA star LeBron James will serve as an executive producer for the three-part documentary series Shut Up and Dribble, Showtime announced Monday.
Shut Up and Dribble will focus on the modern history of the NBA, how some players are able to become cultural icons, and how athletes are now tackling politics, Variety reports. The name will be familiar to those who heard that in February, Fox News host Laura Ingraham took offense at James and Kevin Durant making critical comments about President Trump, saying the NBA stars needed to "shut up and dribble."
"LeBron James is one of many competitors whose place in the spotlight has led not to silence but perspective," Showtime President and CEO David Nevins said, adding that the series should bring fans "and fellow citizens to a higher level of discourse, rather than the dismissal satirized in the title." Shut Up and Dribble will premiere on Showtime in October. Catherine Garcia
Homeland's eighth season will be its last.
Showtime President and CEO David Nevins made the announcement on Monday. Gary Levine, Showtime's programming president, said the drama is "not limping into the sunset. Last season was one of its best ever." Star Claire Danes told Howard Stern in April that the show was going to be ending soon, and she felt "really conflicted about it," although she's "ready for a reprieve" due to her character, Carrie Mathison, being "a lot."
Homeland's final season will premiere in June 2019. Catherine Garcia
In an open letter released Monday, members of the Guardians of the Galaxy cast said they "fully support James Gunn," the movie director fired earlier this month after old tweets were unearthed where he joked about pedophilia.
Gunn, who was set to direct the franchise's third installment, was fired by the Walt Disney Co., a move that "shocked" the Guardians of the Galaxy stars, they wrote. The letter was signed by Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel, and other actors in the film, who said they waited to respond "in order to think, pray, listen, and discuss."
The cast said they will not defend Gunn's jokes, but did want to share their experience with Gunn as a director. "The character he has shown in the wake of his firing is consistent with the man he was every day on set, and his apology, now and from years ago when first addressing these remarks, we believe is from the heart, a heart we all know, trust, and love," the letter states.
There is "little due process in the court of public opinion," the letter continues. "James is likely not the last good person to be put on trial," and the hope is that "Americans from across the political spectrum can ease up on the character assassinations and stop weaponizing mob mentality." Pratt shared the letter on his Instagram feed, and said in the caption he didn't support Gunn's "inappropriate jokes" but would "love to see him reinstated as director of Volume 3." Catherine Garcia
AMC announced on Wednesday it is reinstating Chris Hardwick as host of Talking Dead and Talking with Chris Hardwick, following an investigation into allegations made by a former girlfriend.
In June, actress Chloe Dykstra wrote an essay about the abuse she said she suffered during a relationship with an older man, and accused him of sexually assaulting her. Dykstra and Hardwick dated for three years, and while she did not name him, because of details and descriptions, readers determined she was writing about Hardwick. Hardwick denied the accusations, and AMC suspended Talking with Chris Hardwick and opened an investigation into his conduct.
"We take these matters very seriously and given the information available to us after a very careful review, including interviews with numerous individuals, we believe returning Chris to work is the appropriate step," AMC said in a statement. AMC did not say when Talking with Chris Hardwick will return to the schedule. Yvette Nicole Brown replaced Hardwick as host of several panels at Comic-Con, and was named interim guest host of Talking Dead; as planned, she'll still host The Walking Dead preview special on Aug. 5. Catherine Garcia
A secretive Roe v. Wade film apparently features Tomi Lahren and Milo Yiannopoulos among a conservative Hollywood dream cast
Last week, The Hollywood Reporter revealed that Nick Loeb — most famous for unsuccessfully suing ex-girlfriend Sofia Vergara for custody of their fertilized embryos — and Cathy Allyn are writing, producing, and covertly directing an anti-abortion film on the landmark Supreme Court ruling Roe v. Wade in New Orleans. Many cast and crew members have quit the project, including the original director and the actress playing Norma "Jane Roe" McCorvey. But conservative Hollywood actors including Stacey Dash, Jon Voight, and Robert Davi are still in.
"What the THR piece failed to disclose is why the cast and crew of Roe v. Wade have been quickly dropping out of the project, as well as the project's true nature — including several graphic scenes depicting aborted fetuses," The Daily Beast reports, citing several crew members. "When people finally receive the script, they've dropped out really fast," one crew member said. "After people started dropping out, they said, 'Okay, don't send people the scripts anymore.'"
The no-script policy was reportedly put in place after actors Stephen Baldwin and Kevin Sorbo pulled out. Meanwhile, "two members of the Roe v. Wade cast have been kept secret from much of the cast and crew: Tomi Lahren and Milo Yiannopoulos," The Daily Beast reports. "The right-wing trolls have been cast in one-scene cameos, with Lahren portraying Supreme Court Justice [Harry] Blackmun's daughter, Sally, a Planned Parenthood volunteer who challenges her father (Blackmun penned the court's opinion on Roe v. Wade); and Yiannopoulos as Dr. David Sopher, a British abortion doctor."
The film, described as an amateurish production with conservative stars taking pay cuts as a favor to Loeb, is told from the perspective of Dr. Bernard Nathanson, an abortion doctor played by Loeb who later became an anti-abortion activist. Many backers remain secret. "The mood is that, you have Fox & Friends, and the 'Friends' are the ones producing this movie, basically," a crew member told The Daily Beast. Peter Weber
Pixar's Incredibles 2 exceeded all expectations for its opening weekend, bringing in an estimated $180 million in U.S. and Canadian ticket sales and breaking the record for biggest opening for an animated film.
The previous record holder was another Pixar flick, Finding Dory, which opened in 2016 with $135 million. Analysts predicted that Incredibles 2, out 14 years after the original Incredibles, would bring in anywhere from $120 million to $140 million during its opening weekend.
"You don't get to numbers this big without getting everyone, but we were really pleased with all of the demos," Cathleen Taff, Disney's distribution chief, told the Los Angeles Times. "It's a multigenerational crossover event where adults are just as excited to see it themselves as they are to introduce their kids to it." Catherine Garcia