×
FOLLOW THE WEEK ON FACEBOOK
July 17, 2018
Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

Everyone predicts Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh will face tough questions, especially about Roe v. Wade, when he eventually undergoes his confirmation hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

But two Democratic senators — Dick Durbin (Ill.) and Patrick Leahy (Vt.) — were there for Kavanaugh's last hearing. And they think Kavanaugh may have fudged a few answers.

In 2006, Kavanaugh faced the Senate committee after receiving a lifetime nomination to the D.C. Court of Appeals, The Atlantic reports. Kavanaugh had previously worked for former President George W. Bush, so Durbin and Leahy asked about his involvement in administration decisions during the war on terror. That included how detained terror subjects were treated in the early 2000s.

Kavanaugh denied knowing anything about the torture of detainees at the time, and he was confirmed. But two stories from The Washington Post and NPR soon reported that Kavanaugh discussed torture with White House lawyers in 2002, telling them that Justice Anthony Kennedy — whose impending retirement has spurred Kavanaugh's nomination to the bench — wouldn't support indefinite detention of U.S. citizens, per The Atlantic.

Durbin told NPR that the revelation made him feel "perilously close to being lied to." He wrote Kavanaugh to ask for clarification, and tweeted the same letter the day after Kavanaugh's SCOTUS nomination. Apparently, Kavanaugh never responded. Leahy wrote to the U.S. attorney general, but was denied a criminal investigation, The Atlantic says. He "still has questions about how truthful" Kavanaugh was last time around, per his statement after Kavanaugh's July 9 nomination.

Now, Kavanaugh is set to appear once again before the Senate, and Durbin and Leahy are still on the committee. And judging by Durbin's and Leahy's tweets, they haven't gotten over that one question. Read more at The Atlantic. Kathryn Krawczyk

January 5, 2016
Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

The FBI is asking for the public's help in piecing together where the shooters behind last month's massacre in San Bernardino were that day from 12:59 to 1:17 p.m.

Using surveillance and traffic cameras, authorities have been able to determine the whereabouts of Syed Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, for most of Dec. 2, 2015. David Bowdich, assistant director in charge of the FBI's Los Angeles office, said Tuesday questions remain as to where they were for 18 minutes after the mass shooting at the Inland Regional Center, which killed 14 people. Bowdich said the FBI wants to know if they stopped at any businesses, contacted anyone, or dropped anything off during that time, the Los Angeles Times reports.

Before they were killed in a shootout with police, Bowdich said the couple stopped at a parking lot near the Inland Regional Center and visited an area near San Bernardino's Seccombe Lake. There was also "a lot of zig-zagging around, going back and forth on the highway," Bowdich said. "There is no rhyme or reason to it that we can find yet." Farook and Malik appear to have planned the attack for several months, putting together an arsenal of weapons, ammunition, and explosives, and the FBI has found no evidence the shooting was planned overseas. "This seems to be an inspired terrorist act," Bowdich said. Catherine Garcia