×
FOLLOW THE WEEK ON FACEBOOK
January 10, 2018
Spencer Platt/Getty Images

Several journalists who worked with former Fox News chief Washington correspondent James Rosen told NPR he left the network late last month after higher-ups took a closer look at his behavior toward women.

Fox News confirmed Rosen's departure in December, but did not say why he left after 18 years with the network or announce his exit on air. NPR spoke with eight of his former colleagues at the Fox News Washington, D.C., bureau, who said Rosen had a long history of making sexual advances and aggressive flirting toward co-workers.

Four people told NPR that in 2001, after Rosen was rebuffed by a reporter he groped, he attempted to take away her sources and stories. Several others told NPR that Rosen sexually harassed a foreign national producer covering the State Department, who accepted a deal from Fox News not to say anything in exchange for being allowed to work longer in the United States, and that he tried to forcibly kiss a young reporter twice last year.

In recent years, Fox News has fired several men after they were publicly accused of sexual harassment or misconduct, including late former chairman and CEO Roger Ailes and former hosts Bill O'Reilly and Eric Bolling, who have both denied any wrongdoing. Fox News and Rosen, who is married, declined to comment to NPR. Catherine Garcia

September 28, 2017
Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

White House officials are investigating the use of private email to conduct government business by several of President Trump's top aides, four officials with knowledge of the matter told Politico.

The internal investigation was launched after Politico and The New York Times reported earlier this week that at least six current and former officials — including President Trump's senior adviser and son-in-law Jared Kushner, daughter Ivanka Trump, and former Chief of Staff Reince Priebus — used private accounts to send and receive work-related emails. Officials are looking at emails on the White House server, and are focusing on Kushner and Ivanka Trump's private email domain; Kushner's lawyer said his client has fewer than 100 emails about government business in his private account, and they have been forwarded to his White House account.

White House lawyers were shocked when they found out aides were using private emails for work, officials told Politico, and several White House staffers were livid by the revelation. It's unclear if any confidential messages were exchanged, and the investigation, which could last several months and is being led by the White House counsel's office, will attempt to figure that out. Catherine Garcia

August 28, 2017
Saul Loeb/AFP/Getty Images

The team working with Special Counsel Robert Mueller is focusing on President Trump's role in crafting a response to a New York Times article about the meeting his eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., had in June 2016 with a Kremlin-linked attorney and former Soviet intelligence officer, and whether Trump "knowingly" made a "false statement," three people familiar with the matter told NBC News.

The federal investigators are trying to determine what Trump knew about the meeting, held in Trump Tower and also attended by his campaign chairman at the time, Paul Manafort, and son-in-law, Jared Kushner. The younger Trump initially told the Times in a statement that the meeting was "short" and was only about Americans adopting Russian children, but in further reporting, the Times revealed that the meeting was actually set up in order to discuss damaging information on Trump's opponent, Hillary Clinton, as shown in emails Trump Jr. ended up releasing minutes ahead of the Times.

When pressed, the White House said President Trump "weighed in" on his son's first response to the Times while flying back to the U.S. from Germany, while The Washington Post reported that Trump "dictated" it. One person familiar with Mueller's strategy told NBC News that even if "Trump is not charged with a crime as a result of the statement, it could be useful to Mueller's team to show Trump's conduct to a jury that may be considering other charges." The White House did not respond to NBC News' requests for comment. Catherine Garcia

August 23, 2017
Paul J. Richards/AFP/Getty Images

The White House is preparing to send the Pentagon a memo with instructions on how to implement President Trump's proposal to ban transgender people from serving in the armed forces, The Wall Street Journal reports.

The new policy will let Defense Secretary James Mattis consider a service member's ability to deploy when deciding whether to remove him or her from the military, the Journal reports, and it gives Mattis six months to re-establish the ban on transgender soldiers. The memo also directs the Pentagon to stop paying for gender dysphoria treatments for transgender military members currently serving. Trump announced on Twitter last month he would reinstate the ban on transgender individuals serving in the military, a year after it was abolished by former President Barack Obama. Catherine Garcia

August 22, 2017
Kazuhiro Nogi/AFP/Getty Images

The U.S. Navy is planning on relieving Vice Admiral Joseph Aucoin of duty as commander of the Seventh Fleet, following four crashes, two of them deadly, in Asia since January, U.S. officials told The Wall Street Journal on Tuesday.

Aucoin is a three-star commander, and he will be removed on Wednesday, the officials said; the Navy declined to comment to the Journal. The Seventh Fleet is based in Yokosuka, Japan, and the most recent collision took place early Monday, when the USS John S. McCain and a tanker crashed in the waters east of Singapore and the Straits of Malacca; 10 sailors were reported missing, and the bodies of some of the sailors were recovered on Tuesday. Catherine Garcia

August 1, 2017
Pool/Getty Images

The New York Times has obtained an internal announcement from the Justice Department that shows the Trump administration wants the civil rights division to start investigating university affirmative action admission policies and sue those schools they decide discriminate against white applicants.

The DOJ is looking for current lawyers who want to work on "investigations and possible litigation related to intentional race-based discrimination in college and university admissions," the Times reports, and the memo suggests this special project will be run out of the front office of the civil rights division, which is where political appointees work. The Times' Charlie Savage writes that both supporters and critics of the project said it is "clearly targeting admissions programs that can give members of generally disadvantaged groups, like black and Latino students, an edge over other applicants with comparable or higher test scores."

The Justice Department would not share any additional details. You can read the entire report, which discusses what the civil rights division does and how it has changed since President Trump's inauguration, at The New York Times. Catherine Garcia

July 19, 2017
Joseph Eid/AFP/Getty Images

President Trump decided within the last month to end a covert CIA program that armed and trained moderate anti-government rebels in Syria, a move long sought by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and his ally, Russia, U.S. officials told The Washington Post.

The program began in 2013 as a way to put pressure on Assad to resign, and will be phased out over the next few months, officials said. They also told the Post that Trump made his decision after talking with National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster and CIA Director Mike Pompeo ahead of his first meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin, at the G-20 summit. "This is a momentous decision," a current official said. "Putin won in Syria."

The U.S. will still carry out its air campaign against the Islamic State in Syria and provide training and equipment to primarily Kurdish rebels near ISIS's de facto capital, Raqqa. Some analysts fear that Trump's decision will embolden more radical groups in the country. "We are falling into a Russian trap," Charles Lister, a senior fellow at the Middle East Institute, told the Post. "We are making the moderate resistance more and more vulnerable. ... We are really cutting them off at the neck."

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) tweeted that he hopes the news isn't true, because it would be "a complete capitulation to Assad, Russia, and Iran" and a big loss for "Syrians who have been relentlessly attacked by Assad, our Arab partners, and U.S. standing in the Middle East." Catherine Garcia

July 16, 2017
STR/AFP/Getty Images

In late May, Qatari government websites were infiltrated by hackers as part of a plan orchestrated by the United Arab Emirates shortly before the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Egypt announced they were cutting diplomatic ties with the country, U.S. intelligence officials told The Washington Post Sunday.

It is unclear if the UAE hacked the sites on its own or contracted the task out to someone else, the officials said. On May 24, a story appeared on the Qatar News Agency's website that included fake quotes attributed to Qatar's emir, Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad al-Thani, that were pro-Iran and Hamas. The government said it sent out alerts within 45 minutes saying this was a hoax and the website had been hacked, but a video was posted to the agency's YouTube channel later that day and similar messages appeared on the government's Twitter accounts; even after Qatar made its announcement, Saudi Arabian news agencies were reporting on al-Thani's alleged comments.

The officials told the Post that last week, information gathered by intelligence agencies was analyzed and confirmed that on May 23, senior members of UAE's government spoke about their hacking plan and how to make it happen. The hacking took place not long after President Trump's visit to the region, where he attended a counterterrorism meeting with leaders from across the Persian Gulf. After the fake comments were posted online, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, UAE, and Egypt all announced they were breaking off relations with Qatar.

The UAE's ambassador to the United States told the Post its report was false and his country "had no role whatsoever in the alleged hacking described in the article." He added that Qatar was "funding, supporting, and enabling extremists from the Taliban to Hamas" and "inciting violence, encouraging radicalization, and undermining the stability of its neighbors." Catherine Garcia

See More Speed Reads