President Obama has apparently learned the art of the deal. Can Republicans make him an offer he can't refuse?
When Mitch McConnell first heard Obama's proposal, he reportedly laughed in disbelief
A New York Times analysis finds that most Americans paid a higher percentage of their income in taxes in the '80s than they do now. Can that be?
Republicans and Democrats don't appear to be making progress toward a deficit-reduction deal to head off punishing automatic tax hikes and spending cuts
The president is planning campaign-style events to shore up public support for his push to raise taxes on the wealthy
Temporarily lowering payroll taxes on American workers failed to stimulate the economy — and ending the holiday promises to invite major political blowback
Cheering for steep spending cuts and tax hikes to kick in Jan. 1 is now a bipartisan sport
Lawmakers strike an optimistic note after meeting with Obama, raising hopes that Congress will spare the economy an unwelcome jolt on Jan. 1
Democrats have beefed up their Senate majority with the election of some "unabashed progressives." Will that make compromise even harder on Capitol Hill?
Democrats say Romney's proposal to raise revenue by slashing deductions for the rich could reduce deficits — without the tax-rate hikes that Republicans despise
In the months leading up to the election, Democrats successfully portrayed Republicans as the party of rich white elites. Never again, vow some conservatives
Liberals have urged Obama to play hardball in budget talks with Republicans, even if it means plunging the country into economic uncertainty
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- The constant struggle of running a family farm in 21st century America
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week