President Obama has apparently learned the art of the deal. Can Republicans make him an offer he can't refuse?
When Mitch McConnell first heard Obama's proposal, he reportedly laughed in disbelief
A New York Times analysis finds that most Americans paid a higher percentage of their income in taxes in the '80s than they do now. Can that be?
Republicans and Democrats don't appear to be making progress toward a deficit-reduction deal to head off punishing automatic tax hikes and spending cuts
The president is planning campaign-style events to shore up public support for his push to raise taxes on the wealthy
Temporarily lowering payroll taxes on American workers failed to stimulate the economy — and ending the holiday promises to invite major political blowback
Cheering for steep spending cuts and tax hikes to kick in Jan. 1 is now a bipartisan sport
Lawmakers strike an optimistic note after meeting with Obama, raising hopes that Congress will spare the economy an unwelcome jolt on Jan. 1
Democrats have beefed up their Senate majority with the election of some "unabashed progressives." Will that make compromise even harder on Capitol Hill?
Democrats say Romney's proposal to raise revenue by slashing deductions for the rich could reduce deficits — without the tax-rate hikes that Republicans despise
In the months leading up to the election, Democrats successfully portrayed Republicans as the party of rich white elites. Never again, vow some conservatives
Liberals have urged Obama to play hardball in budget talks with Republicans, even if it means plunging the country into economic uncertainty
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week